Wednesday, June 24, 2009

the problem with toile

I just realized that I hate my office curtains, which is unfortunate, because I really liked them until I realized that the images remind me of a Civil War cemetery in Beaufort, SC. That's kind of morbid.

The problem, you see, lay not in the fabric as a whole, but in two particular scenes, which happen to be side-by-side. The fabric is full of Victorian-era families and couples gallivanting through various park-like areas. Two couples stop by some monuments- one with a great urn on the top, the other much akin to any other war memorial. That would be the part that bugs me. Several years ago, I was in South Carolina (a state that I've never held much of an interest in) which apparently affected my love of toile. Read on.Somehow, we ended up strolling through the old cemetary in Beaufort and while reading monuments of Civil War Veterans, we suddenly were under attack from vampire mosquitos the size of small children with a penchant for the blood of my scantily-clad back. (note to self: do not wear tank tops in SC) Contrary to popular belief, dead people, stinging insects and extreme heat are not my idea of fun. I still like most of the curtains. I think I'll just make them into roman shades and cover up the corpses with a pleat. It's very challenging to be a housewife.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I so remember you HATING our cemetary walk. In your defense, it was EXTREMELY hot and they WERE vampire misquitoes. I also recall that you never want to live next to a cemetary. In S.Carolina's defense,it is a beautiful state to visit. Just in a cooler climate when the bugs are hibernating.